Sunday, October 2, 2011

Medicine Cabinet turned Display Cabinet

Hello all! It seems like forever since I've posted anything. I have been steadily working away on a display cabinet and finally, it's ready for the reveal! I've had a medicine cabinet just sitting in storage for over a year now. I found it out by the dumpster at the apartment where Sean and I used to live. I took it thinking I would simply use it as what it was made for: a medicine cabinet, but after some thought, I just had to do something a little more creative with it. :) I settled on making it into a wall display cabinet. So, here is the cabinet in it's original form:

First, I took out the mirror on the door (I'm sure I'll use that for something else). Then I unscrewed all the parts and started painting. I settled on a teal color. I forgot to take pictures of the steps, sorry guys. At first, I hated the teal color after I painted it, but I started distressing the piece by sanding, chipping and generally taking any anger or frustrations out on this poor cabinet. By the end of distressing the piece I liked it much better, but I felt it still needed something. I ended up laying a lace backing on the back wall of the top and bottom shelves. For the last step, I took some chicken wire and stapled gunned it to the back of the door as a screen. FYI, chicken wire it very difficult to straighten out. I cut my piece and laid it under about 50 pounds of weight for an entire week and it was still wanting to curl up! I just started stapling on one side of the door frame and tightened and pulled the chicken wire straight as I went (my hands are very sore today). Lastly, I had to decide what knob I wanted to put on the door. The knob that originally came on the cabinet seemed too modern and shiny so I went with a small rusty flower knob I bought at Wimberley Market Days last month for a dollar. I think all in all it turned out pretty nice...




I was thinking this would be best used as some sort of display cabinet, but it would also be cute in a kitchen as a spice rack. Here is an idea of how it looks displaying some knick knacks:
Hope you enjoyed! Love you all!
-Amy

4 comments:

  1. It turned out so cute!!! Thanks so much for linking it up!
    :-)
    shaunna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Melissa and Shaunna! I'm just honored that you would come and visit my little blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just starting my blog and happened to have a medicine cabinet that needs some love, so I hopped over to Pinterest for some make over inspiration and viola! Your cabinet is the cutest one I found! Adorable. I am excited to get working on my own now. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete