Saturday, October 8, 2011

Another Lamp and Some Lanterns

Hello all! Today I finished another lamp, and I also made a set of matching lamps out of some lanterns. First, the lamp...I found this really awesome feminine old lampshade at Goodwill for $3. It was just too perfectly shabby chic and I couldn't pass it up. I thought the lampshade was so great that for the base I should just go simple. I used a proportional empty wine bottle that I had as the base. I didn't add any embellishments. Just the beautiful shade, and a simple glass bottle base. I really love how it turned out. I just wish it matched something in my house....


Now for the lanterns.....I found these great rustic looking lanterns on clearance at Ross the other day. I love all the lanterns that are out right now, but they are always more than I want to spend. I noticed these were marked down so I examined them. As I have learned, every other time I've found some lanterns marked down they are usually broken in more than one place. After examining these I realized they were perfect! No cracks chips or broken glass etc. Then, an ingenious idea popped in my head...if the bottoms of the lanterns were wooden, I could drill a hole through and make lamps out of these. I looked on the bottoms and they had tin dishes secured for candles. Well, I managed to pull the tin piece off the bottom, yes right in the middle of the store. And underneath it was just wood! I was relieved to find that my lamp idea would work because I'm pretty sure the store security guard would have made me pay for the lamps regardless seeing as he gave me some pretty stern looks as I ripped them apart. :) When I got home all I had to do was drill my hole and put my light kit together. Oh, and I spray painted the lighting fixture silver, it was brass before and it didn't look very good with the gray. I think they look like something in a magazine priced for a couple hundred bucks. Tadaaa....


Restoration Hardware take that!!! I hope you guys enjoyed. Let me know what you think! Love you all!
-Amy

2 comments: