Sunday, October 16, 2011

Jewelry Boxes

Hello all,
I found these great pieces at Goodwill a few weeks ago (yes, I know I probably go there too often)....


These were some sort of case/boxes for who knows what. The blue one has a mirror backing on the bottom and has sectioned off compartments inside, and the wooden one had a picture in the lid originally but I took it out. I have made jewlery holders before using just a frame, but I thought it would be great if the frame were on hinges and attached to a box to house more jewelry. Tadaaaaa, these are exactly that! The blue one was super simple to complete. I didn't change the color. One, because I kinda liked it, and two because I couldn't figure out how to get the mirror out of the back and didn't want to tape it all off or risk getting paint on it. It also already came with a clasp on the side to keep the box closed, and all the hardware on the back to hang it on the wall. All that was left for me to do was clean it and staple gun my lace to the lids frame.



Those are earrings in the last picture. That is what the lace is for. It can hold all kinds of earring from dangly ones to studs. So, the blue jewlery box was a simple, easy quick project. The other one however, was simply put, a nightmare. I almost threw it in the trash. Every single thing I tried to do to this box did not work the first time. The hinges on this box do not come off, so I taped over them and spray painted the box red. That was the only easy part. After it dried, I was going to put hooks inside the box to hang rings, necklaces or bracelets from. I tried and tried and could not get these hooks to screw into the wood. Enter Sean (a.k.a. hubby), he tries and tries and he can't get these things in either, but then, he summons his super strength and he is able to do it! Thank you Sean :) Ok so the next step is to put some kind of wall mounting on the back of the box so that it can hang on the wall. Easy right? No way. I split the wood in several places, and bent or broke at least two or three wall hangers. I was going to put two hangers, one on each side, but after splitting the wood, I had to rethink my strategy. I decided on one of those teeth-looking hangers in the center, if it would work. After several tries, I was able to get it in. Phew. So now, that this box can hang on the wall, it has to have some sort of clasp so that the door isn't constantly swinging open. I realize I don't have any of those so I go to good ol' Walmart. They have a spot for what I think would have been what I needed, but were all out. I go to Lowes and try to explain what I need to someone so they can help me find it. They have no idea what I'm talking about and send me to the hooks department. After searching Lowes for 30 minutes, I find what I need and go home. So begins the journey to attach this clasps to my jewelry box. Short story: I broke 3 nails in the wood on the lid, and a screw (yes, a SCREW) in the wood on the box side. I think this box was made of some kind of magical super wood. At this point I was going to throw it away because nothing was working. I decided to try one last thing, and luckily it worked! Now the last step was to staplegun the lace to the lid frame. This too was difficult because the staples were not wanting to go into the wood (it's super strenth wood remember). Anywho, I was able to finish the jewlery box and here is the finished product:


Actual cost and expenses: around $5. Time and effort: priceless$
Love you guys!
-Amy

2 comments: