Sunday, August 14, 2011

For all you coffee lovers

Well I decided to begin a project today. I chose the smallest and what I hoped to be the easiest restoration of everything I had. You gotta start somewhere. I chose the spice rack. First, I scrubbed the spice rack with an old toothbrush, then wiped it down and sprayed it with lysol, maybe not the most professional way but hey, I'm new at this. Next I unscrewed the lazy susan on the bottom that allows it to rotate around. You don't even want to know what kind of things were living under there... Once clean I soaked the screw and the ball bearings in WD-40 to remove some rust and get it to spin more fluidly. While those were soaking, I wiped the wood down with "Feed-N-Wax" which is a type of liquid bees wax wood polish. The wood was so dry is soaked it all up and also sort of stained the wood a darker but still natural color. Then I used wood glue to reinforce some splits in the wood, clamped it together and let it dry. Once dry, I took the piece outside and sprayed 3 light coats of wood sealer on just to give it a little bit of shine and help protect the wood. Lastly, I rescrewed the turn table on the bottom and voila! But wait...somehow all this time thinking this would be my new spice rack I never actually thought to see if my spices would fit in this. And wouldn't you know that they don't fit. So now I'm thinking, "Great I just did all this work and now I don't have any idea what I can do with this." But then my eyes fall on my coffee maker, an excellent Keruig single pod coffee maker which I love. "Hmm... do you think..." I pick up a coffee pod and it perfectly fits in my so-called spice rack! Some things are just meant to be. I guess God new I would get more use out of a coffee pod holder than a spice rack :)

Below is the spice rack before and after. I know not really much of a change, but the wood really needed some TLC. I may paint this in the future but I kinda think this new wood stained color is growing on me.

Here's my bucket o' tools for this project.

And finally, my beautiful edition to the coffee corner... lovely.




2 comments:

  1. Love your blog Amy! What a great little project, it looks wonderful. Love mom-Ruby

    ReplyDelete