Wednesday, August 17, 2011

A past project

I thought I'd take some time to show you a project I've done in the past. I found a broken plant stand in a pile of trash out by the curb. It looked exactly like the picture below (sorry so blurry).

I brought it home and pondered what it could become. I decided that maybe it would just be better used as scrap wood for some other project but as I started pulling off slats of wood, I realized that this could be a great piece of wall art, and on further inspection for pictures as well. I was able to unhinge the table to make it fold flat. Then I pulled all the slats off of the center square and a few others around it. The squares that were now "slat-free" were going to hold pictures. I cleaned the wood and screwed what used to be the plant stand legs together so that my frame would stay together flat. I also had to saw off some of the extra length of the legs once it was flattened. Once my frame was finished, I brought it inside and realized I didn't have any pictures that fit in the open squares perfectly, so I cut some cardboard to the right size, covered each one with a different type of fabric, stuck some of my wedding pictures on top of the fabric, then staple gunned each cardboard piece to the back of the frame. After all that, this was the finished product:


I think it turned out pretty good. What do you think?

Also, on a side note, I have been talking about starting an Etsy shop for quite a while now, and I'm hoping this will actually happen some time in the near future. I may be putting various pieces that I restore on my blog on the etsy site and also some jewlery holders. Below is one that I've made and use myself:

Sorry the picture quality isn't great. The thing up in the top right corner is a feather hair piece. The backing that the earrings hang on is lace fabric. Each jewlery holder is different and I can custom make them to order (frame size, color, backing material etc.). If anyone is interested in one before I get the Etsy site up let me know, and I will announce when I do open an Etsy store. That's it for now. Love you all!
-Amy




No comments:

Post a Comment