Sunday, October 30, 2011

This one's a Keeper

I've had this guy sitting in my garage for a while now. I think I was intimidated to start on this because I knew just the cleaning of this thing would be a monumental task. And it was....I spent at least two afternoons brushing, wiping and scraping this until it was clean enough to even come in the house. Then I took two of the glass panes out. Then I scraped and cleaned even more. By now I had decided that I was going to make the existing window panes into chalkboards. So I began the task of taping off all of the window except for the glass so that I could spray paint with chalkboard paint. Once the paint was dry, I took off all the tape, and yep, you guessed it, cleaned the window once again. Then I put some wall mounts on the back of the window so that it could be hung on the wall. I thought I would paint the frame but then decided to leave it au naturale with most of the paint scraped off. Lastly, I got my chicken wire out and cut pieces to fit in the two glass-less panes and staple gunned the wire to the back. After scraping up my hands and forearms with the stubborn chickenwire, I came out with this.  

There are close pins on the chicken wire to hold cards and notes, and then I had some rusty old hinges which I screwed onto the bottom of the frame to hold the chalk. 
So I was planning on selling this in the Market on Belvin (which I'll talk about later), but after seeing it completed I just couldn't let it go. This one's a keeper :)
This is how I plan to use it, we'll see if I'll be this organized....

Yep, this is definitely a keeper.
Love you all!
-Amy

4 comments:

  1. Amy this is really a unique piece and so functional. Why can't your mother think of things like this. Good job honey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this one, Ames! I wouldn't mind having one of these at my house :)
    -Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I'll keep my eye out for another old window, or piece I could use to make another one of these.

    ReplyDelete