Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Cavins Dresser Redo #2

I have finished the second dresser redo for my friends Taylor and Marlena. This dresser had a tag on it that said it was from the 1920's, an actual antique, which meant two things....one: if I ruined it, I ruined an ACTUAL antique, a piece of furniture history. And two: it was going to be a lot more difficult to work with b/c it was NINETY TWO years old. But I was up to the challenge :)
Here is the dresser in the store where the very talented Laurie Cavins (Taylor's mom) spotted this great piece.
Just imagine it without all the other items on it. Sadly, I forgot to take a picture of it originally, I guess I was just too excited to get started :)


Here is the dresser after I removed the knobs and sanded. It looks pretty rough.
Then I spray painted it with the same gray that I spray painted the other dresser I did for the Cavins. (See my previous post)

The drawers spray painted gray, and I hand painted the raised detail on one of the drawers in a light yellow. 

Then I coated the entire dresser with a lacquer and polyurethane to help preserve the paint.  

I already had on hand the four pulls on the bottom two drawers. They came off of another dresser I redid a while back. The pulls on the top two drawers were the original pulls that came with the dresser. I spray painted all the pulls with primer and then a white Epoxy which is used for appliances and indoor metals. 
All in all, I was pretty pleased with how it turned out. What do you think?
Love you all!
-Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment